Here are ten things that you can do now that will make you better prepared than 90% of the population. And everything is available at your local shopping center – so it’s easy.
You can do all ten steps at once or divide each into a separate week and shopping trip. But you need to get it done as soon as possible. Keep in mind that this is only a starting point and isn’t presented here as a completed preppers checklist.
1. Head to the nearest Wal-Mart, Costco or any local big-bog store and pick-up 20 lbs. of white or brown rice and 20 lbs. of pinto beans. White rice has a better storage life while brown rice has more nutritional benefits.
2. Essentials: 5 lbs. of white sugar, 5 lbs. of iodized salt, one gallon of olive oil (can be frozen to extend shelf-life), 5 lbs. oats, 10 lbs. each of white or wheat flour and cornmeal.
3. Canned Fruits & Vegetables: 20 cans of canned fruits and 20 cans of canned vegetables. Be sure to buy only those brands and contents you normally eat and nothing exotic. No need to shock the senses.
4. Canned Meats: Pick-up 20 cans of various meats, salmon, stews, spam, and tuna. Again buy only those brands with contents you normally eat and nothing exotic.
5. Peanut Butter: Buy two 40-ounce jars. The listed shelf life is just over two years and each jar has over 6,000 calories. Peanut butter is an excellent instant survival food.
6. Powered Drinks: 72 Ounce Tang Orange drink canisters (provides 100% of the US RDA vitamin C requirement per 8 oz. glass). Also, yu may want to add six 19-Ounce Containers of Kool-Aid Drink Mix.
7. Vitamin Supplements: 400 tablets “one a day” multivitamin and mineral supplements.
8. Sporting Goods: In the camping aisle, pick up 4 five gallon water containers. Fill with tap water as soon as you get back home.
9. While there, you’d be wise to buy 250 rounds of ammunition for your primary defensive weapon. More if you can, but this will be a good start.
10. And lastly, pick up the best-LED Flashlight you can afford. Good idea to purchase additional batteries. You can visit 1Tac.com to see our selection. Also while in the sporting goods dept, grab two boxes of wooden matches and several multi-purpose lighters. Don’t forget to date, use and rotate – remember first in first out.
This list should be helpful in getting you prepared for just about any natural disaster that may occur.
Be prepared and stay safe!